Friday 28 November 2014

Masking variations of tileable floor

I have been using UE4's preset floor, but now I wanted to give it a go and try my own floor, here is my process of how I went about making my floor.


So to create my Versailles floorboard I looked at some references first, I used this one as I could easily see the crisscross sections.

I then went into Maya and started building the different sections the cut faces tool was very useful here as I could put faces on the squares in a straight line. Then delete those polys later to make it look like the wood was intersecting.




Then I gave each wooden piece a different colour in Maya so it would be easier later on when it came to baking and texturing.

I then made the high poly of the shape which was pretty much turbosmoothing and adding edge loops to the hard surfaces. I then placed a plane on the bottom to bake the high poly onto. I baked the normal maps, cavity and colour map.


I then used these colour maps in Photoshop to easily mask out the generic wooden texture I used for the texture, then rotate the wood to make it look like it was going one way.

Here I made 3 different variations so I could paint in Unreal different colours to make the floor look less repetitive. 





Here is the normal map, I made sure that certain points were popping out and others weren't.


Here are the nodes I used for the floor, to make them tileable and less repetitive and also to rotate them as they were meant to be in a diamond shape






No comments:

Post a Comment